July 3, 2012

Batman to the Rescue

I was rescued by a bona fide super hero yesterday.
And he looked a little like this guy.














At least, to me he did. 
True story.
It happened this way:

It was a warm and quiet Monday afternoon. I had taken my lunch to a shaded park where I could enjoy the greenery and also listen to NPR's Talk of the Nation on my car radio as I ate. They were discussing the war and policies in Afghanistan. Really interesting. But I digress.

Suddenly, the radio quit and the air was filled with an eerie silence. I knew instantly that trouble was brewing. A turn of the key in the ignition confirmed the worst. My battery had died. I was alone, and stuck.

But never fear! I quickly sent out the bat signal (via a text message), and shortly my very own Batman came to my rescue. His Batmobile was in the shop, apparently, but the Toyota RAV4 he brought instead was perfectly suited to the crisis at hand. He connected the cables, and we were well on our way to jump-starting my car.

Except it wouldn't jump. Cables were connected, his engine was running, but my engine wouldn't turn over. The situation was getting dire, to be sure. So what did this super hero do?  He strong-armed my battery away from the engine and rushed it off to the local battery triage center (also know as O'Reilly Auto Parts) for testing.


Sadly, the battery was too far gone. The technician reported there was nothing he could do, and the battery's monitor -- just at that moment -- flatlined. Seriously. It was quite the melodramatic death scene. That's how I envision it, at least.

Batman, never being one to show emotion, quickly pulled himself together after the tragedy and did what needed to be done. In short order, I had a brand new battery all hooked up to my engine, and a full complement of coolant to boot. I turned the key, and the engine revved. Joyful noise! Yay Batman!

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/206333_4347141596_936_n.jpgNow, I know I shouldn't reveal Batman's real identity... but I'm sure he won't mind if I only tell YOU. Honestly, what harm could there be? What could happen? Just, you know, keep it to yourself, huh? In real life, he plays the role of a sarcastic and not-so-mild-mannered SEO dude, and he looks a little something like this guy here.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Devin!! (er, um, I mean Batman...)

No comments:

Post a Comment