The exact circumstances are lost to time. I could make up something believable, but honestly, the details don’t matter. Only this: I was somewhere in my 20s, driving through Provo, and my dad was in the passenger seat. Even our destination isn't important, though I suspect it had something to do with that time we totaled the blue Oldsmobile. A story for another time.
Anyway, this is what I remember. I was driving. Somewhere. In Provo. And I missed a turn. I must have been talking, and suddenly I realized I needed to have turned a block earlier. Pulling into the right lane to turn (on the wrong street, mind you, and mentally rerouting to wherever it was we were going), I sighed and said, "Oh, this is not where I wanted to be!" Without missing a beat, my dad chuckled and replied, "But it's where you are."
That was it. The exchange took no more than 10 seconds, and I don't know whether my dad meant to be profound or glib in that moment. It works either way. But when I think of this story—and I do often—it is because of the life lesson he taught me in those 10 seconds. Sometimes you're not where you wanted to be. It happens. But that is where you are, and nothing can change that. All you can do is move forward from that spot, rerouting toward your intended destination. And if you can do it with a little chuckle, all the better.
Thanks, Dad! Love you, and Happy Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment