![]() |
| Sunday morning. New haircut. Cute, huh? :) |
Yep. A burglar. Armed. In my house! My mom and I had stopped by my place after a missionary homecoming, and my front door wouldn't open. Figuring there was something wrong with the lock, I tried the patio door. Something was blocking the door, and I soon realized that that something was my out-of-place couch. And then I noticed the door latch was broken. Someone had been in my apartment!
So I called the police, and 20 minutes later they arrived to check it out. They pushed the patio door open and went in, guns drawn, to “clear the place.” It was just like Law and Order! I could hear them moving through the apartment, though I was certain no one was inside. My mom and I had been hanging out on the patio for 20 minutes, after all.
But suddenly I heard one of the officers yelling things like: Show me your hands! Come out where I can see you! Drop the weapon! His partner told us to GET OUT (yes, she yelled) and move away from the apartment building. And suddenly more police arrived. I have no idea where they came from! They soon evacuated all the apartments in my stairwell. (So, you know, I met some of the neighbors I hadn't known before…)
Aside from the mess, it really all worked out in the best way possible. It could have been bad—very, very bad. Luckily, I wasn't home when he broke in; I couldn't open the door so I didn't just walk right in on him; the imaginary police kept him in the back corner of my apartment until the real police arrived; competent officers handled a dangerous situation expertly; and he didn't get away and actually take anything, so I'm not dealing with cancelling credit cards and replacing electronics. All things considered, I feel really blessed and protected.
![]() |
| Once the closet was cleaned out, you could see the extent of the wall damage. |
I did get mad at him that Tuesday morning, finally. And I don’t feel like the two emotions conflict. I do feel sad for him, and at the same time I’m angry at the situation he chose to create. Stupid punk kid.
It took a couple of hours before they could let me back in my apartment on Sunday, and by then I was exhausted, and really just numb. I just wanted to go. To leave. To deal with it all later—or not at all. I’m so grateful for a kind friend and neighbor who came and spent about half an hour helping to pick up wet clothing from the closet floor. I couldn't have faced it myself that evening—but it had to be done.
I’m also grateful for Relief Society sisters and friends who jumped in to clean up piles of wet insulation. For a sister-in-law who could see how to organize my ransacked bedroom when I couldn't even decide where to start. For a mom who laundered about 70 percent of my clothing in two days (my wardrobe has never been so well cared for!). For a boss who understood when I said, “Um, I’m not coming in on Monday,” and who was concerned and asked if I was sure I didn't need more time.
I’m grateful for friends who checked on me every day and for friends who let me be. For friends who wanted to make my home homey again and for friends who stayed with me when I wasn't willing to stay alone just yet. For the power of a father’s blessing, for the power to forgive and forget, and for a kind, comforting and watchful Heavenly Father. It really was a week of blessings.
That Wednesday night I had a dream that sums up some of my feelings pretty well. I was in a play, a community production—a musical I think. And I really didn't feel prepared. I had only a vague idea of what to do, and we didn't have much practice time left. I had a script, but it was only the slimmest of guides. The people around me were my friends (though I didn't recognize specific faces), and while they did seem a bit more on top of it than I felt in the dream, they really weren't completely sure of how the play would go, either. But it didn't seem to matter. We were just there to be together and work together and make the play happen in whatever way we could. Their easy attitude about it put me at ease, and in the end I wasn't anxious at all about not knowing what to do—because I was with people whom I loved and we were in it together, and that made it all ok.


Susan,
ReplyDeleteWe're so glad everything turned out well, and that you weren't harmed! We're also grateful for good friends and family who were there for you at that time and later while you continued to collect your barrings!
Love you!
Lynn & Eileen
Wow! What an experience. I am so glad you are okay and that you are processing the experience well. Can I do anything for you?
ReplyDeleteEileen, if not for your and Lynn's homecoming, I would have been home that morning! I'm also glad it worked out so well. Deb, you are so sweet. Thanks for asking, but I'm doing fine!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are safe and everything went as well as it did in this scary situation!
ReplyDelete