You know the song Silent Night?
I’ve sung it a lot. Pretty much since before I can remember,
mostly at church, every December. You’d think I’d have it down. But not long
ago I realized I had been reading the lyrics wrong. I mean completely wrong. For YEARS!
It’s mostly the first verse I got wrong. The first verse,
you guys! The one everyone on the planet (well, not literally) knows by heart!
And here I am, a bona fide word nerd, misunderstanding the whole thing.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve thought of the first verse
as a series of vignettes—small snippets of imagery that set the nativity scene.
I blame the odd line breaks, which really may be the result of the
German-to-English translation. But still.
Here’s how I used
to view the song – each line a whole by itself, each bit a small piece of the
scene.
Silent night! Holy night! (so far so good. It’s silent, it’s holy.)
All is calm, all is bright (right, right. Calm and bright. Got it. Setting the scene.)
Round yon virgin mother and Child. (Yep, there she is. Round [pregnant] Mary, a mother and still a child. Check.)
Holy Infant, so tender and mild, (And here’s the baby. Holy Infant. Nice.)
Sleep in heavenly peace; (And he’s sleeping. Peaceful. Calm. Silent. Night.)
Sleep in heavenly peace. (Ditto.)
You see… For FOREVER I had thought that the “round yon virgin” line was a reference to a pregnant Mary. “Mother and child” was also her. Just her. At some point in my youth, that must be the sense I made of the song, and that sense stuck—until fairly recently. And it’s not without some chagrin that I admit just how long it took me to notice that there’s no punctuation at the end of that second line. Round isn’t a description of Mary, it’s an adverb describing where the calm bright silent night was happening: aRound. Around Mary and the Child. Both of them. (Note the capital letter, too. A dead giveaway this is the Divine we’re talking about... and I missed it.)
As much as I’ve always loved the song, I’ll admit the verse is much more lovely now that I’m seeing how it how it really goes:
Silent night! Holy night! (Silent and Holy. Shhhh.)
All is calm, all is bright (this thought isn’t done yet…)
Round yon virgin mother and Child. (All is calm and bright around the mother and holy baby over there.)
Holy Infant, so tender and mild, (this thought isn’t done yet, either.)
Sleep in heavenly peace; (not quite done yet…)
Sleep in heavenly peace. (Aw, sweet tender baby, we want you to sleep peacefully on this silent heavenly night.)
Isn’t that nice? Yeah, I think so, too.
And don’t even get me started on the image I had in my head of the “Radiant beams from thy holy face” line in the third verse...!
Merry Christmas, Friends!


No comments:
Post a Comment