September 10, 2009

All Alone


Love is our destiny. We do not find the meaning of life
by ourselves alon
ewe find it with another.
Thomas Merton
I did some things a few weekends back that I’ve never done before. Now, now, before you get any ideas, let me tell you what I did:
  • One: I went to Emily’s wedding. (Of course, I’ve been to weddings before, but never Emily’s, as she’d never had one.)
  • Two: I went to a wedding alone. (Which just made me realize I need someone to carry my keys.)
  • Three: I hugged a man I just met—twice. (Ok, I’ve probably done that before.)
  • Four: I went to a restaurant by myself. (And I didn’t like it. But not for the reasons you might think.)
Did I really just say I’d never been to a restaurant by myself? Yes. Crazy but true. I’m thirty-something, and until that weekend I’d never had occasion to sit in a restaurant by myself. Generally if I’m by myself, I figure I can just as easily be by myself at home. And since I like being at home, that’s usually what I do. But this day was different. Home wasn’t an option.

It was all due to Emily’s wedding. I knew I’d have some time to kill between the wedding and the reception—not enough time to make the drive back home, but enough that browsing Target wasn’t going to cut it. So, I made a plan. I would grab dinner and take my laptop along so I could get some work in before heading to Emily’s reception. It was a good plan. And it worked out well. I did get dinner (at Panda Express) and I did take my laptop, and I did get a little work done. But here’s the thing—between the time I got my food and the time I finished eating and opened my laptop, I did not enjoy myself. Not for the reasons you might think. I didn’t feel awkward, or uncomfortable or singularly single at all. It was just boring. There was no one to talk to. No one to engage with. Sure, I could people watch, and even eavesdrop a little. But really what’s the fun of that when there’s no one to share your observations with or give knowing glances to? And really, sometimes being “alone with your own thoughts” is overrated, and down-right dangerous! Case in point, my first reaction to a young woman clad in very short shorts was, well, not kind. And then I was faced with contemplating whether I was becoming one of those women. You know the kind—those women who are convinced that anyone younger or prettier or whatever-er than them are at best idiots and at worst…something else! It was not a pleasant inner dialogue.

So, yes. It’s true. I don’t like going out by myself. It’s just not an enjoyable use of my time. If I’m going to be by myself, I’d rather be at home. At least there I can rely on the pseudo interaction of email and Facebook and blog comments to feel connected to the world!

2 comments:

  1. Susan,

    I need to be better at following your blog but am glad to note that I had read the last post prior to reading the most recent, so I'm not too far behind. I have also gone out alone, I think I was even staying at your place, and find it slightly therapeutic. It is easier though if you open up the laptop and begin working while eating. The isolation isn't so prominent that way. Also, I loved the last post about cake. I remember our conversion about that and enjoyed reading it a second time tonight (third time counting our conversation).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    This was an interesting read. It made me think about my outings alone -shopping, going to the movies, dinner out, etc. I have more thoughts on this, but I think I will share in person when I see you this weekend. I actually logged on to see if you had any chronicling thoughts about recent events in your life. I always think it's interesting when certain storms arise and when one is in the midst of the storm that certain reflections arise or even stock of one's inventory of life comes into play. A few events that have occurred with friends have caused me to stop and question...wait! I feel like I am about to give a talk, so I'll stop...lol!!

    ReplyDelete