July 14, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake


It matters immensely. The slightest sound matters. The most momentary
rhythm matters. You can do as you please, yet everything matters.

Wallace Stevens
I'm a pretty linear thinker, most of the time. Except for when I think about calendars. In my mind the year is round, like a clock, with February on the 2 and October on the 10. But words, they're linear—even chronological. If you say The boy threw the ball, my image will be linear, left to right, of the boy, then his throwing arm, then finally the ball leaving his hand.

So it doesn't surprise me that one particular idiom has vexed me most of my life: You want to have your cake and eat it, too. My mother often used this phrase. Usually lightheartedly. Usually when I expressed a wish for two mutually exclusive things—like getting good grades without doing homework, or driving the family car without pumping the gas, or learning to play the piano without practicing.

I knew what my mom meant. I couldn't have it both ways. I could never have both sides of my two-sided wishes—it would be impossible. But I have to confess, the usage of the phrase never made any sense to me. Linearly, the sequence of the sentence is completely logical: first to have cake and then to eat cake. Of course a person ought to be able to have her cake and eat it, too. What would be the point of having cake if not to eat it? That's what cake is for! Whenever anyone said, "You want to have your cake and eat it, too," I've always wanted to respond with an impassioned, "Of course I do! It only makes sense!"

But recently I was enlightened by some very old writings of some very dead white guys:
Would yee both eat your cake and have your cake?(John Heywood 1497-1580)
You cannot eat your cake and have your cake.
(Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 1547-1616)
Wouldst thou both eat thy cake and have it?
(George Herbert 1593-1633)

Did you notice the change in word order? That reversal from have your cake and eat it to eat your cake and have it was like a revelation. An angel-singing, sunlight-streaming, Sword-in-the-Stone-imitating revelation. Suddenly this pesky idiom made sense! It does indeed ask the impossible—to first eat your cake and then have your cake; in the eating, the cake is gone, and so it can no more be had. Which all seems a much more sensible (and linearly accurate) way to express the idea that you can't have it both ways. Perhaps if my mother had said, "You want to eat your cake and have it, too," I wouldn't have wanted to shout "Of course I do!" I might instead have been inclined to respond with a calm and thoughtful "Ahh, I see your point."

Mmmmm. Now I want some cake.

Did you know this idom helped identify the Unabomber? Apparently he used the more archaic word order (to eat your cake and have your cake) in his Manifesto. According to the NY Times, "His brother David Kazynski was able to identify Ted after reading the Manifesto. Ted and their mother both used the more accurate but older and less popular use of the phrase."

6 comments:

  1. Super! Loved, Loved, Loved this post. So insightful...and now I also want cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one! The phrase always left me a little confused, too. I always took it to mean that you can't expect life to be as fair or straightforward as you would like. In your dreamworld, the cake is yours to eat, but the harshness of reality might obligate you to give it away or something like that.

    I was wrong, though. I guess that means life really is fair and straightforward. Who'd of thunk it.

    Before I read the last paragraph, I had decided to start saying it the other way around. I'm not so sure I want to be like the Unabomber, though. See-ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John! You read my blog! That makes me happy!

    I think mom sort of used the phrase in that way, too, sometimes. Like, to mean "boy you're asking a lot, having cake AND eating it, because the world just doesn't really work like that." But I like your conclusion, that the world IS straightforward and logical! :-)

    And don't worry. I would never confuse you with the Unabomber--unless you started wearing a grey hoodie and sunglasses all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan-
    "If I knew you'd be writin this, I'd a baked a cake!"
    I too, have been perplexed by the idea of presenting cake and then offering the option to either eat or not eat. Where did this idea come from? Why cake? Was cake an essential part of the diet at the time?
    Thanks for pondering idioms! I'm teaching them to 3rd graders this year.


    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had a blog. Fantastic!

    I'm glad you mentioned the Unabomber. Cause I was going to say something like, "And now Susan agrees with Ted Kazinski!" You beat me to the punch, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just in: Kiersten wants Susan to blog more. Kiersten is also incredibly demanding.

    (Also, Kiersten is a pot, and over there is a kettle. It looks kind of blackish in color.)

    ReplyDelete